Friday, March 26, 2010

WRECKED

I made my peace with my post about my mom. I was a lil later than normal getting Rylee from school on Wednesday. I picked her up at 5:20pm. I was in a car wreck at 5:25-5:30. I was a the intersection of Bowen and Division.  My car is totally busted.  I had never been in a wreck before. I had no idea that when the airbags come out that dust/smoke/powder mixture goes EVERYWHERE in your car. I seriously thought that my car was on fire. A van hit head on the front passenger side of my car. My whole dash area of my car was in my lap just about. 2 nice men came rushing to my aid but at the time I could feel no pain. My concern was Rylee who was SCREAMING like I had never heard her scream before. I thought for sure she was injured. She was sitting in the back passenger side of the car. I yelled for the men to get my baby. They had trouble getting the harness off of Rylee so I turned sideways a little and reached my arms back and got it unbuckled. I knew that she was out of the car and that was when I started to feel PAIN!!! My seat belt had dug into my skin around my hips and the airbag busted the inside of my lips. That is when I noticed the paramedics were there. They got to the wreck within 2 minutes of the wreck happening. They asked if I was okay and that is when everything started to get a little fuzzy in my mind. I had just gotten off the phone with George like a minute or two before the wreck and I knew that he might not hear the phone again so the first person I called was George's mom. I told her that we were in a wreck and that she needed to call George/go get him for the Hickerson's house a few streets away from her house and meet us at the hospital. About that time the were putting a neck brace on me and getting me on the backboard and loaded onto the ambulance. I could hear Rylee screaming and freaking out because she wanted me. I was demanding to know how she was, I was not interested in my pain until I knew that she was okay. They assured me that she checked out and was perfectly fine. They wanted to get me to the hospital and have Rylee ride in the cop car and I said NO!!! She will ride with me or we will wait for my husband. The lady was a little annoyed with me so I asked her if she was a mom and when she said NO I told her that if she ever became a mom she would understand...I'm not going anywhere from here without Rylee with me or in the arms of my husband. She slammed the door the ambulance and that was it. George got to their a few minutes later and followed us to the hospital with Rylee. I got to the hospital at 6ish and at 9:30 I finally got the release to have the neck brace off! I was so relieved!! 4 hours of laying flat on my back and looking straight up was the most frustrating experience. At midnight I got released and was sent home with a prescription for pain. I still haven't gotten them filled because I don't want to be all loopy. I am managing with some prescription strength ibuprofen and rest. I have bruising going from my left shoulder to my right hip and another bruise going from hip to hip. My hip bones and just under my right breast have strawberries/carpet burn from the seat belt. .I have strained muscles along my sternum and that is why I have/had shortness of breath and they thought I had broken ribs. A bruised and swollen Left knee and a gash on my right ankle and serious bruising on my ankle bone. I am lucky to not have more severe injuries and thankfully blessed that nothing it wrong with Rylee except for what looks like a hickey on her neck from her car seat. The cop/EMT guy told me that only 15% of parents put their kids in the car seat the proper way and I am lucky to be one of those parents. He said that he was expecting Rylee to have whip lash and possibly a broken neck from the shape my car was in and because I had her strapped in the proper way she is just fine. I am thankful that I stick to and demand that Rylee be strapped in the right way. It might not be as comfortable for her to have the straps snug and the plastic thing pulled up even with her collar bones/almost under her chin but OH WELL!!! It saved her. We are getting Rylee another Graco Nautilus this weekend. It did its job and I highly recommended this car seat before the wreck but even more so now!!

My Aunt came yesterday to bring us dinner, Thank you Aunt Susu! She brought Rylee a duck dressed in a jacket with bunny ears on it and when you grab the duck by the bunny ears it says "put me down, put me down *aggravated duck sounds here*" and sings a song while walking on the ground. Here are some pictures.....


That is about it for now.......

3 comments:

  1. I knew from FB that you had been in a wreck, but reading this brought tears to my eyes. So glad you guys are okay. Good job strapping her in Mama!! How scary! Prayers and hugs!
    She is so adorable with that duck and her wild hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that Rylee is okay and that you weren't hurt worse. Wrecks can be so scary and I'm sure it was so much worse being worried about Rylee too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I had no idea! I'm sooooo glad that you guys are ok. That is really scary!! I would've been the same with Kyndra. I would've wanted to know if she was ok first and there'd be no way I'd be going anywhere without her!!

    I'm sure you're sore from it all! Perfect example on why it is so important to buckle them in properly! You never know when it might happen to you!!

    ReplyDelete